Bermondsey residents are invited to find out about free construction training opportunities at The Skills Centre Open Day on Saturday 8th May at Market Place, Bermondsey SE16 3UQ
If you are unemployed, looking to retrain or to return to work following furlough, redundancy or just an extended work break, why not come along to nd out about the opportunities available.
Those taking part in the training will have direct access to job opportunities at the £500million redevelopment of the former Peek Frean biscuit factory, as well as at ongoing works at Canada Water and Old Kent Road developments.
Up to 500 Bermondsey residents will be offered free construction and digital skills training with The Skills Centre in the coming months, thanks to a partnership between the Southwark Construction Skills Centre,The Blue Bermondsey, Big Local Works and Southwark Council
What to expect
- Meet with current and past trainees – hear their story and about the work they’re doing now
- Find out about the Canada Water Masterplan developments
- Discuss the courses available, and register for training, jobs or apprenticeships
- Short presentations about the local training and job opportunities
When and where
- Saturday 8th May – 8.30- 1.30pm
- Southwark Construction Skills Centre, Southwak Park Road, Bermondsey, SE16 3TS (Site of the former Thorowgoods Department Store). Click here for directions
A word with the director
“Here at SCSC, we have trained hundreds of people from all over London since opening in 2016, and have helped them start their new careers in construction.
With so many big construction projects going on in and around Southwark at the moment, we think it’s important that the local community benefits from these job opportunities as much as possible and so we are looking to help secure local training and jobs, for local people.
The range of opportunities in construction may surprise some people – come along to find out. No previous experience is required as we have a programme of pre-employability training to get people started on their new career in construction.”John White MBE, Director of Southwark Construction Skills Centre (SCSC)
This event is supported by The Skills Centre, London Borough of Southwark, Big Local Works and Blue Bermondsey BID